To celebrate the 1st day of October, here’s one of my favorite warm drink recipes to you guys. I always get all cozy and warm inside when I have my chai. I recommend drinking it from your favorite cup, while all snuggly on the couch. Add a great movie and you are all set.
SPICY CHAI LATTE (makes 4 small cups)
4 Bags of Black Tea (English/Irish Breakfast, Darjeeling etc.)
1 Cup Milk (I use almond milk)
2 inch. piece Fresh Ginger, cut into pieces
1 tsp. Cloves
1 tsp. Cardamom Seeds
1 tsp. Black Peppercorns
3 Cinnamon Sticks
1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
Star Anise (optional)
Muscavado/Brown Sugar or Honey
1. In a small plastic bag, combine the peppercorns, cloves and cardamom. Use a heavy mallet or skillet to crush the spices into coarse pieces.
2. In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the milk, crushed spices, cinnamon sticks, ginger pieces, and fresh ground nutmeg. Allow the milk to come to a gentle boil, then cover and turn off the heat. Allow everything to steep for about 15 minutes.
3. While the spicy milk steeps, bring water to a boil. Combine the 4 tea bags with two cups of boiling water. Allow the tea to steep for about 4 minutes and discard the tea bags. Add the tea to the warm spicy milk.
4. Put a fine mesh sieve or coffee filter over a pitcher, and strain the spice chunks out of the tea. Put one Tbsp. of muscavado sugar or honey in each cup and pour the tea latte on top. Stir and enjoy warm.
* If you like it cold, add the sweetener and chill the pitcher for a few hours. Do not pour over ice immediately or it will be watery and tasteless. Serve over ice once the chai is completely cold.
recipe & recipe pics from: Sprouted Kitchen
other pic: herebewitches.tumblr.com